22 August 2011

My Experience on a Game Show, Part 2 - The Day Before The Show

When we arrived at Laguardia, we went to get our bags.... only to find out that our driver already had them.  That's right.  Disney sent a driver.



At this point, I should stop and say that I will be mentioning a lot of companies.  Let me try to sort them out. You all know Disney.  Disney owns ABC, who broadcast "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire".  Celador is not Disney, but the company that originally created the show for UK broadcast, and who were represented, at least in some way, by the Executive Producer, and the guy running the show, Michael Davies.  But more on him later.  Valleycrest Productions was the US company producing the show.  Celador and Valleycrest both had pieces of the US show.  I think Valleycrest is partially or wholly owned by Disney.

In general, I will refer to Disney in this story, unless the exact company name is important.  Frankly, I don't know if Disney sent the car, or if it was one of the many other companies involved, but a car was sent, and I am giving Disney credit.

The car took a very scary mid-morning ride from Laguardia to midtown Manhattan, where the Empire Hotel was.  Now, this was a very nice hotel - right on the front steps of Lincoln Center - chosen for its proximity to the "Millionaire" studios at WABC (who are also owned by Disney).  Linda and I checked in and dropped our bags off in our very very small room.  We read the packet left for us by Valleycrest Productions (see, there, it's important), telling us that we were to be at a suite upstairs at 6pm sharp, to fill out more paperwork and to get further instructions.

So Linda and I, the two wide-eyed kids from the little city, went walking down Broadway.  We got to Times Square, to 34th Street, and we turned left.  That's when we entered the Empire State Building.  And we went to the top.  Such tourists we were! But such fun we had!  (Gosh, I should find those pictures!) What a great view from up there.

We discussed taking the subway to see the World Trade Center, but we decided against it, and ate lunch at Au Bon Pain instead.  I love Au Bon Pain, and they aren't in Rochester, so I take every opportunity to eat there.  I feel the same way about Arthur Treachers, by the way.  There aren't any of those in New York City, and ABP was right in the Empire State Building.  We also did some light shopping - nothing much - and started walking back to the hotel for our 6pm meeting.

I skipped part of this story!  I had called my friend Mike Dabaie - he was my best man at my wedding - to see if he wanted to go to dinner that evening - he lived in New Jersey with his wife (who is also a friend of mine), Lisa Milbrand - they still live there, in fact.  He gave us the idea to just walk up Broadway.  Other than the nightmare that was Columbus Circle - lots of construction, and a busy place - it was a quick and easy walk.  If you go to New York City, I urge you to walk it.

So, back at our hotel, and we go to the 6pm meeting.  There were 19 contestants and their travelling companions there.  I got to chatting with a couple of them, mostly from the afternoon taping - you know, the ones NOT in direct competition with me.  Those of us who were contestants were lucky enough to get a WWTBAM t-shirt that identified us as contestants.  We were encouraged to have Regis Philbin sign them the next day.

No, Regis was not at the meeting.

There were instructions - breakfast and lunch would be provided, and dinner to those who were on the late episode.  Our day as early contestants would begin at 6:45am - the afternoon folks got to sleep in.  A van - really, two vans - would pick us up and drive us the three blocks to the studio, where we would go through makeup and training, as well as be debriefed by producers.

We also had to sign some paperwork - all of us - stating two things.  1. We would not divulge what happened in this episode to anyone.  At all.  Or else it cost us $4 million dollars.  2. If we moved, we had to tell Disney and Valleycrest Productions.  That's something I have to do to this day.  I hope they have a reunion someday.  That would be fun.

They also fed us.  Just sandwiches, but no matter.  Linda and I had dinner plans!

They also fed us a meal and gave each contestant a per diem of $50/day.  So, in other words, a Disney producer handed me three $50 bills.  And they were feeding us on one of those days, so we were in good shape.

Mike and Lisa met us at our hotel and we walked over to Shun Lee Palace.  They gave away complimentary packs of matches in a bowl on their host's station.  It is one of the last places I have seen do so, and I am happy I took a few packs (they came in handy at birthday parties for years to come).

Shun Lee Palace is a Chinese restaurant, and one of the best I've been to at that.  I usually get a very safe Kung Pao Chicken when I go to a new place, but this was a special occasion, so I ordered one of their specials.

Chicken with Tree Ears.

They're mushrooms.

It was a good choice.  I didn't want to have kung pao peppers in me the next day.  This was a mild, yet delicious dish.  If you want a recipe to make it yourself, I found this one that is pretty close to what I ate that evening.

Mike and Lisa are great people who gave me a lot of encouraging words.  They had been married for a couple of years, and were and are just terrific friends.  Sadly, this is the last time I've seen them.  I have to change that really soon.

Linda and I parted ways with Mike and Lisa back at our hotel, and, after setting a 6am wakeup call, we went to bed.  I was a bit restless and excited - who could sleep with what was coming the next day?! - but I did sleep.

And 6am came too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment