26 August 2011

My Experience on a Game Show, Part 5 - Episode 130

Linda and I were whisked away to our own private dressing room.  OK, it was more like a very large closet, but it did the trick.  We needed to quickly change to uphold the illusion that this was all occurring 3 days later, not 30 minutes.



I was done first, and moved to makeup.  The makeup people were congratulatory, and very very nice to me.  So were all my fellow contestants in makeup, who were just learning that I was to be joining them for the evening.  Wow.  What a wonderful group of people they were.

You'll find throughout this story that I only have any negative words for two people.  It is important to note that everyone involved with me and the show were wonderful and kind and accommodating as much as they could be, right up to the executive producer and network people in the house.  With two exceptions.  But more on them in a few minutes.

We all lined up backstage again... the contestants, me, and Regis.  And, much like Episode 1 this day, we all marched in.  This time, though, I got a personal introduction.  And I waved to the crowd and hammed it up.  It was fun!

My lifelines got another call at this point, telling them that it was time to start taping.  Clearly, they knew that I had won something, because this was Episode 2.  I just wouldn't be able to tell them exactly how I did.

Now, it was time for Reeg and I to walk in together and start the episode, and we did so.  It was a well-orchestrated affair.  He is so short - about 5'3" tall.  You can see the height difference when we are standing next to each other.  Although I think he put on lifts for Episode 2.

Regis reviewed the last episode and the two contestant failures from the "night prior."  And then he turned to me.  And my reaction when I came out of that fastest finger seat.  He's pretty good at the small talk.  And he highlighted that I called every single day to get on the show.  And a race against time because my wife was pregnant.

Regis explained the game to me and the audience at home, including telling thousands to use abc.com to play along.

What part of a magazine would you normally check to find the list of staff members?
A.  Back Cover    B, Centerfold    C. Masthead   D. Table of Contents.

"Masthead is where they put the title.  Centerfold is where they put the....."   So, I reasoned out the answer pretty quickly to be D. Table of Contents.  Final.

"STOP TAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"QUIET ON THE SET!!!!!"

And two floor producers rushed the podium.  Both wearing headsets.  Both listening intently to a conversation that I can only barely hear.  I know both voices on the other end of the conversation, though.  One is Michael Davies, the Scottish executive producer of the show.  The other was the show's attorney.  Clearly, there was a problem with the question.  I would find out later what the exact issue was.  But at this moment, I didn't know.

And no one was talking to me.  And Regis was looking at anything but me.  He was avoiding eye contact.

For what seemed like hours, but was probably only a half hour, I had to endure this non-communication, silence-expect-for-the-headphones - and that was a HEATED argument!  At this point, I had convinced myself that I knew that I was done on the show - that I had somehow blown the question.  So, I really got myself a good, dejected look.

Finally, the producers gave the all clear to resume taping and backed away.   And I braced myself.

And this is what you saw next on TV.




"No, I'm sorry Tony, it was masthead."  They edited all that time away.  It was like it was instant.  Except that it was not.

Yes, my time in the hot seat was over.  And I had lost.  I was embarrassed to be done so quickly.  I was sad, dejected.  And confused.  I didn't think I got that answer wrong.

"So you go home with $1,000"  No real encouraging words from Regis.  And the people in the Ring of Fire were, of course, thrilled that I was done.  They got to
get into the hot seat rather quickly.  And I got to walk off stage sadly.

Except, at stage's edge, I was greeted by none other than Michael Davies.  Who was really apologetic and explained the entire situation.  He started by telling me that I was not wrong in my reasoning, which is why they had stopped tape to research the answer.

And they had found magazine publishers to support my answer.

So why wasn't I still in the hot seat?  The attorney had reminded Mr. Davies that the show's answer was also correct, and the show's decisions were final.    The fairness of the question, and the correctness of my answer, were both moot.

I think Mr. Davies tried on my behalf.  I don't think he succeeded.

So, I was left to go sit on a couch backstage and watch the rest of the show.  At that time, I was finally brought a tuna sandwich.  It was all they could find.  In New York City.  Linda declined to eat, but we did take advantage of the drinks they had backstage.

At this point, I had to fill out paperwork.  My $1000 winnings, which was more than $600, was taxable, and so I had to fill out my tax forms.  As soon as I did that, I was handed a check from Valleycrest Productions for $1000.  I walked out of there with my money, in full.

One by one, the four contestants who made the hot seat, only to lose relatively quickly, from the 2nd episode joined us on the backstage couches.  Frustratingly, I knew the answers to every question that was directed at all of them, including the ones they missed.   And they all felt worse for me, despite leaving with the same amount of money as me, for the same reason.

One guy walked away from the $125,000 question, so he got $64,000.  He also felt badly for me.  I felt happy for him.  He was a really nice guy.

Needless to say, there were no more controversies on that show.

After taping was done, I was asked by my fellow contestants what had happened.  I still wasn't quite sure, except that I had gotten a right answer marked wrong.  And I was still really upset about it.

Regis said goodbye to all of us.  He was openly hostile toward me and would not shake my hand.  He was too busy with all the ladies.  (OK, I understand that a little).   He was also tired.  I can't blame him on that.

The producers told me that they had called my lifelines at this point, thanking them for their service.  They did not divulge what had happened.  They did offer their apologies to me as well.

We all piled in the bus and went back to the hotel.  Several people called me that evening and asked me what had happened.  I, of course, could not tell them.  I walked to the convenience store near my hotel, got some food off their buffet....

OK, I have to stop the story here for a minute.  Every convenience store in Manhattan, it seemed, had a buffet.  A really nice salad bar, and some nice hot items.  Sold by the pound.  Linda and I frequented two different ones - both were excellent.  Wish we had these in Rochester.

..... brought the food back to our room, and we ate and tried to sleep.

I slept terribly that night.  But the next day, things got brighter, and I got perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment